This week we have been learning about jobs in our community. We talked about what different jobs people do in our school. We picked some people we want to interview and wrote them a letter during our writing lesson asking them to visit us. Mrs Thomson helped up scan and send a letter to Reverend Fiona and she even replied. We then delivered the envelopes to the people, they are going to visit us next week hopefully. We came up with some super questions to ask them.
Here are some of our questions –
Mrs Wojtunik then set us a little challenge task – we had to look at all these signs and logos and work with our co-op partner to guess what they were for.
Lily’s mum came in to visit us. She works at the Benefit counter in Debenhams. She talked about how she became a make up artist. She waxed Mrs McLean’s eye brows to show us what it is like. Mrs Matheson also got some make up put on too.
We also did a job and resources sort, we talked about all the different jobs and what you would need to do that job.
Wow we are so delighted with the turn out for Grandparents afternoon, we had a great time showing them around and interviewing them.
‘I really liked the Grandparents’ Afternoon because we got to sing our song on the stage to our Grandparents.’ Michael
‘I liked showing my Grandparents my pictures outside of my classroom.’ Nicole
‘I liked the P1/2 and P1’s song from their assembly because it was very good.’ Ethan
‘I enjoyed performing our assembly for all of the Grandparents.’ Amy
‘I liked the afternoon because we got to show our Grandparents the school.’ James C
- Most Grandparents were born in a hospital. One was born at home! Some couldn’t remember life as a baby. Two grandparents talked about having no internet and technology when they were babies unlike today. An interesting fact: “When I was a baby I had a very big pram.”
- We found out that most grandparents had a party for their birthday like us.
- Clothes were similar to ours but as one grandma said “they would look old fashioned now”.
- Sweets were rare and our grandparents only got these sometimes – once a week was a common response. There were no fast food places when they were small.
- Our grandparents used to like playing hopscotch, ball games and outside. We found out that some grandparents lived on a farm. One grandparent had to do chores on the farm to help.
- Grandparents used to learn from a blackboard.
- There were no computers in school.
- Most talked about learning reading, writing and maths. One grandparents said it was very “repetitive”. Someone else said “we were not allowed to talk” while another said “we sat by ourselves in class”.
- School was described as stricter when our grandparents went.
- Some people got punished at school. There was detention and some people got hit with a cane or belt. One of the grandparents remembered being hit with a stick in Primary 2 because they were talking!!
- There were very little rewards but one grandparent got a reward for handwriting. Two others talked about gold stars at school and a sweetie jar.
- Most people walked to school.
- One grandparent left school when they were 14 years old.
- One grandparent said they were in school from 9am to 4pm.
- Our grandparents used a slate to write with in school.
- Grandparents played with the following toys: Balls and Catapults, footballs, marbles, clockwork trains, dolls, doll house, spinning top, cuddly toys and cars.
- They played lots of board games like Ludo and Snakes and Ladders.
- Grandparents played games outside such as Kick the Can, rounders, football and Hide and Seek.
- Our grandparents were only allowed to play after school when there homework was complete.
Thank you so much for helping us with ALL our questions. We had so much fun.
On Monday we shared a super Assembly on resilience with the whole school and our parents.
We were really proud of our performance.
We had a celebration afterwards.
‘I enjoyed doing the assembly because I liked speaking through the microphone.’ Evie
‘It was good because everyone had different outfits on.’ Lucy
‘Everyone spoke clearly and talked bravely. Everyone wore different clothes, loads of people wore hats. Also people wore sunglasses all of them were in Summer.’ Lily
‘I enjoyed singing the songs.’ Erin
It was good. I liked doing the songs. All the Primary Twos got to sing their own verse.” Alyssa
“It was fun. I got to hold stuff up. I liked Pete the Cat song the best.” James
On Wednesday we did a live workout with The Bodycoach, we worked out all together. This will keep us nice and healthy.
‘I enjoyed doing the press ups, it is important to keep fit so you are healthy.’ Tillie
‘I liked doing the press up and high knees, it is good to keep healthy and be fit.’ Abbie S
‘It was fun to work out, I liked doing the burpees, it makes us healthy.’ Amelie
I liked it because we were trying to be healthy by exercising lots.” James
“I liked this because it was a real live video. There were loads of people who were dong the workout. At one time there was 1600 onlne and some of these people were whole schools. It was exciting to be part of a big event like this. You could comment on the video. and Miss Penman tried to get us a shout out.” Chloe
A few weeks ago the Rights Respecting School Team were discussing how we could improve our school playground. Each representative asked their class for ideas and shared them at our meeting. From this we created common themes and worked with some PSAs to create our charter. The charter has created a shared set of values for our school and playground.
The RRS team decorated designs and the whole school voted. The winner was revealed at the assembly last week.
This was the winning design! The signs have been made and they have been popped up in our school; 1 in the playground and 2 on the field.
We had a very healthy week last week. We completed lots of great learning to do with keeping healthy.
Every morning we did Dancemania, what a great way to start the day!
‘We danced with the whole school, I like to dance.’ Tillie
‘Dancemania was fun because we were doing all different dances.’ Evie
‘I liked it when I was dancing with Miss Penman, I liked it when I was dancing and the games.’ Nathan
We really enjoyed Sports day, we all did so well.
‘I liked when I was running during sports day, I was great at the races.’ Abbie S
‘I enjoyed doing the flat race, and I enjoyed doing the last race.’ Lewis
‘I liked running at sports day, the hop race was great.’ Kaiyan
We did an orienteering activity with P7, we had soft drinks and decided which had the most sugar.
‘I enjoyed finding the drinks, we had to look for the drinks, we used a map to help us.’ Finn
‘We were looking for the juices, we used the map, I worked well with my partner.’ Zara C
On Wednesday we did a whole school rotation of different healthy activities.
We made a healthy Eating and Living poster, we displayed it in the hall for everyone to see.
‘I was making a picture of me in my bed because getting lots of sleep is good to keep you healthy.’ Billy
‘My favourite activity was the computer one because I like playing games.’ Clement
We are delighted to be back and we are enjoying the sunny weather.
We were playing in the sensory garden at golden time today.
We have been learning about estimating, we worked with a partner to play an estimating game.
We have kept up our fitness by running two laps of the field every day, we are in training for sports day and some of us for the Baillie Cup.
On Friday I went to watch the Snow White Performance by Highland Youth Theatre. The show was performed by pupils from Holm Primary and I was most impressed with the confidence and acting skills shown by all. Well done everyone, I loved coming along to watch this. I feel we may have a few stars in the making!
- “I enjoyed doing the show because it was fun.”
- “I enjoyed it because it was full of fun.”
- “I loved seeing all of the dwarfs costumes and being Dopey.”
- “I loved doing it because you got to wear different outfits. My favourite part was when I had to crack the egg on my head.”
- “Come and try the shows, it’s really fun, you’ll make new friends and the teacher is brilliant!”
- “The reason I liked it was because the teacher is really kind and I would tell other people to go for it because it is fun.”
- “I liked that I had a pillow attached to my suit because I was Sleepy.”
- “I enjoyed when I was a dwarf and we came around the audience.”
A block have been working together all week for The Three E’s – Easter, Energy and Earth Day.
Monday – Easter day
We completed Easter activities and did our Easter egg hunt with the Nursery children.
‘I liked it when I found the 8 clue, I liked it at the end when we were having the chocolate eggs.’
“We were learning about Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. We had to use our rhyming skills and knowledge to complete it.”
“I liked doing the arts and craft activities. We made a painted butterfly and we learned that if you paint on one side and fold it over this will make the picture symmetrical.”
“Miss Giblin played lots of fun French games. I really liked Corners. We learned lots of new French words for Easter.”
“We learned about what we need and do not need. I liked writing about this and then seeing it on the wall.”
“I liked thinking about how lucky I was and that we should be grateful at Easter time.”
“I learned about being thoughtful. I had to draw pictues of what I could live without.”
Tuesday – Energy Day
We have been learning about electricity safety, renewable energy and using our energy. We went outside to do some running and dancing with Miss Penman.
‘It was wonderful doing the dancing with Miss Penman and the classes, the music was fun to dance too.’ Ella
‘I liked the dancing because I liked clapping my hands round and round’ Abbie M
‘I liked all of the dancing because it was fun to copy Miss Penman.’ Daniel
Electricity Quiz – Safety, Batteries and Mains Electricity:
We were lucky enough to work with B Block and play some of their home made electricity games.
Wednesday – Earth Day
Today we learned about the history of Earth Day. We listened to Michael Jackson’s Earth song. We all looked great in our blue and green colours. We did a litter pick to help save the planet.
“The world need us and we need the world.”
“If we are bad to the world the world will be bad to us. This is why there are lots of natural disasters such as earthquakes.”
“We need to take care of the world and be good to it.”
“We can care for our world and protect it by: picking up litter, recycling, growing plants and looking after the animals.”
Earth Day Acrostic Poems:
We wish you all a very happy Easter, enjoy your holidays.
Miss Macnaughton, Miss Penman and Miss Giblin
P4/5 have been working hard learning all about electricity. To start with we looked at battery and mains electricity.
Next we learned how to stay safe around electricity.
We experimented with different conductors and insulators. “Conductors allow electricity to flow through them.” “Insulators do not let electricity through.”
We looked at electrical circuits. We know that for a circuit to work it must complete a loop.
We made games using all our electricity knowledge and shared them with other classes.
Here are some of the things we learned :
“I learned that if there is no battery the circuit wont work because it is not a full circuit.”
“I learned how to make a game using electricity. We used wires, buzzers, batteries and bulbs.”
“I enjoyed making my game at the end of term and I liked showing it off to the other classes. I liked deciding what our game would be like and experimenting with the equipment.”
“I liked checking to see if circuits worked or not.”
“I liked using Peppa and the energy balls to learn about circuits.”
“I liked guessing to see if circuits worked and then checking them after.”
What a fun filled day raising money for charity.
‘I won chocolate for making the best glasses, I felt happy.’ Kaiyan
‘We watched a video clip about a boy called Hassan, we need to raise money so that they have food and hydration.’ Tillie
‘Hassan didn’t have much money, he couldn’t go to school, we raise money so that they can go to school.’ Evie
Earlier this week we worked with P7, we tried to hit the gym hall roof with our rockets, we nearly did it. Next week we are going to add more tablets to try and reach it.
‘It was fun when we poured the water in and it exploded.’ Lewis
‘The rockets went fast, we put water and vinegar in our rocket.’ Cameron
‘The rockets were exploding up in the air, they almost touched the roof.’ Billy